Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Day 9 RKC Training! Lungs man.

Hello Dear Readers!

Today Wednesday March 15th, was Day 9 of RKC Training.  Working on the lungs.  I did three light Snatch tests.  To review, the Russian Kettlebell Challenge certification requires me to do 50 kettlebell snatches on each arm in 5 minutes with a 24kg bell.  It's difficult for me.

Today, I worked on by inner breathing apparatus by doing three versions of the test with lighter bells. It went something like this.

20 kg Bell 10 Snatches on each arm on the minute/5 minutes

5 minutes Baby Crawls/Bear Crawls/Cross Crawls

16kg Bell 10 Snatches on each arm on the minute/5 minutes

5 minutes Baby Crawls/Bear Crawls/Cross Crawls

12kg Bell 10 Snatched on each arm on the minute/5 minutes.


My breathing was ALL over the place in the first one.  It's been FOREVER since I even attempted a 20k snatch test, and it handed me my ass a little.  My forearms were on fire and my lungs were burning by the end.  I took five minutes to crawl and recover, and stretch my wrists and forearms.  Finished in 4:50

The second test was better, the lighter bell really allowed me to focus on breathing out on the SNAP of my hips, instead of at the end of the movement, when the KB is in the top position.  This breathing on the hip snap will allow me a lot more control of my breathing, and keep me out of going into panic mode mentally.  Finished in 4:42

The third test was like a rocket.  I put on The Devil Went Down To Georgia, and it was all I could do to keep the bell from flying around.  This is nice because the light bell is going to teach me stability and control, as well as help control my breathing when I'm fatigued.

WHEW!  Special thanks to Laura Smith Martensson for keeping company and Snatching along with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment